Complaint Process

Who can complain?

Anyone who has concerns about the care they have received from a doctor, physician assistant or clinical assistant or about their conduct can complain to the College. Whether you choose to complain is a personal decision, but we treat all complaints that we receive seriously.

If you have concerns about the care that was provided to someone else, you may not have a right to participate in the complaints process unless you are their legal representative due to privacy concerns. A complainant is free to obtain the assistance of anyone they wish, but the College responds only to the complainant. Complaints about the care provided to children, vulnerable persons, mentally incompetent adults or deceased individuals must be submitted by the legal representative of such persons.

What are the reasons to complain?

Some concerns can be resolved through open and honest discussion between you and your doctor. Many problems are caused by misunderstandings or a lack of information and the physician may not be aware that you are unhappy about aspects of care.

If you have already tried to address your concern through direct communication, or if direct communication is not an option for you, the College complaint process provides a way to address your concerns.

If you are considering making a complaint you should understand what to expect and the possible outcomes of your complaint before you submit your complaint. [see Expectations and Outcomes] You should also be aware that a formal complaint about a doctor often disrupts the physician-patient relationship to the extent that many physicians will end the relationship and you may need to find another doctor if that happens.   However, this should not stop you from complaining about serious concerns.

When should I submit my complaint?

There is no time limit as to when you can complain, but the process is more effective if you file your complaint at an early stage.

How do I complain?

If you have concerns about a doctor (physician), physician assistant or clinical assistant, you can submit a complaint to the College.  If you know you want to submit a formal complaint, go to Submitting a Complaint.

If you have concerns about the care provided to someone else for whom you are not a legal guardian or representative,  you may submit these concerns to the Registrar of the College. The Registrar may refer these concerns to the Complaints or Investigation Committee but you will not be informed of the outcome. 

Further Questions

If you would like to speak to someone, we encourage you to call the College at (204) 774-4344 or toll-free 1-877-774-4344 and ask that your call be directed to the Complaints & Investigations Department.